Friday, January 10, 2014

Behind the scenes stuff

A few months ago I was working on a bunch of card images. As I was creating the art I thought I would take a few photos "in progress". The original sketch is quite flat and boring. I had to do the art in separate pieces to get the composition to work. I tend to work this many layers so I can adjust the elements. You can see how the cat's faced changed, the more I worked on it. I felt like it needed to be softer so I changed the eyes. Then I also had to brighten the art as well. I usually work in more muted colors and then have to force myself to get brighter. Finally, I tried adding type, to propose a box set cover. The client ended up doing journal covers with the art in the end. 

1 comment: